Tips to get you through exams
It is often easy to forget what university is actually about, unfortunately it is not reaching that level on Call of Duty nor is it seeing how far you can stretch your overdraft before it all catches up with you. No, it’s about getting that degree, or so I’ve heard. Getting that degree means essays and exams, and with exams often comes stress and worry.
But fear not, get those exams out of the way and then you can return to playing on the X- box all day and sleeping through all the day light hours. SO here are some top survival tips for getting through those exams:
- Revise – This might sound obvious but the amount of people who say “I’ll just wing it” is worrying. Ideally you should start a couple of weeks before if not more than that, but if you have left it late than just do as much as you can- even a little bit is better than none. Also don’t listen to people who say they haven’t started yet- they probably have but just don’t want to admit to it. Don’t let other people stop you from revising.
- Exercise – Or at least get out of the house, not only will it clear your head, but getting some fresh air will stop you dying a death of boredom from looking at pages of notes you wrote when you were probably hung over in a lecture; it also will release endorphins which help you to feel happier and more positive about your revision.
- Timetable – Set yourself a timetable, break down what you have to do- thinking about learning two terms worth of lectures just seems like a daunting task and will make you more panicked. Break it down into manageable chunks and then break down your days into parts giving equal time to each topic, or prioritising the most important topics. It will seem much more achievable and knowing that you only have to do two hours in a morning or so before you can have a couple of hours off can often be encouraging.
- Rewards – Probably the best part of revision, if you are going to have revise you might as well reward yourself for it. Set yourself goals such as revising for an hour or learning ten facts about something and then reward yourself , even if it is just chocolate and copious amounts of tea. Then after exams treat yourself to something more like a new pair of shoes- revision can justify all.
- Don’t panic – Easier said than done, I know I can definitely vouch for that, but at the end of the day as long as you prepare and make sure you get plenty of sleep, eat well, stay focused – it is only for a few weeks and then it will be over, so keep calm and carry on.